My Thoughts In My Words

What’s the Role of a Coach?

♠ Posted by Abhijit Bangal in ,, at 11:58 PM
This is one question that has always confused me, practically – what is the role of a coach? This would seem a bit sarcastic to say given our Indian culture, where the guru is of utmost importance. A teacher is given importance more than the God himself. They say, the guru can lead you towards God himself, so his place is above anyone and everyone.
But my ‘problem’ is a bit different. I need to know the EXACT roles coaches play? I am necessarily talking only about the IPL that is currently underway. I would like to point out the performance of Mumbai Indians in particular.
They have played four games in all till now and have lost all of them. However, I believe, in their last two games, they were a bit unfortunate to have lost the matches in spite of playing good and positive cricket.
Mumbai Indians boasts of one of the best support staff at the moment. Who are there to guide the players and give them the correct directions? There are two of the best batsmen the cricketing world has ever seen – Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting for batting and Anil Kumble for bowling. When it comes to fielding, there is also the ace fielder of his days in the world – Jonty Rhodes – the man who gave a new meaning to cricket fielding.
Not only about a particular team, but all teams have players that are well prepared to take on the opposition. I wonder what coaches would be ‘teaching’ and ‘advising’ players like Virat Kohli, Kieron Pollard, Glenn Maxwell and Chris Gayle. Do they need any tips on batting? How much does a batting coach contribute to the building of a batsman?
This does not mean I am raising question marks over the abilities or presence in the support staff. I just need honest answers as this is something that’s very confusing for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment